<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<upm-export>
	<title>The Auroran</title>
	<link>https://www.newspapers-online.com/auroran</link>
	<description></description>
	<pubDate>Sun May 24 18:32:08 2026 / +0000  GMT</pubDate>
	<generator>Universal Post Manager 1.1.2 [ www.ProfProjects.com ] </generator>
	<language></language>
	
			<item>
			<title>Skateboard park rebuild gets Council greenlight</title>
			<link>http://www.newspapers-online.com/auroran/?p=24180</link>
			<pubDate>Sun May 24 18:32:08 2026 / +0000  GMT</pubDate>
			<guid isPermaLink="false">http://www.newspapers-online.com/auroran/?p=24180</guid>
			<content-encoded><![CDATA[<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p><strong>By Brock Weir</strong></p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>A $600,000 project to
replace the popular skateboard park outside the Aurora Family Leisure Complex (AFLC)
received the formal green light from Council last week.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>The formal approval,
satisfying the conditional approval of the project within the 2019 Budget, came
a week after a contentious debate at the Committee level on the condition of
the skatepark and the causes of its rapid deterioration since opening in 2015.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>As The Auroran
reported last week, problems with the skate park became apparent almost as soon
as the facility opened with concrete surfacing failing to withstand its first
winter. Significant cracking was also evident, due to the retention of water
beneath the surface and other on-site drainage issues.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>The site, along with
constriction shortfalls on the part of the contractor, have been the subject of
an investigation carried out by an external consultant retained by the Town
which found “critical deficiencies” in the build.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>Coming into focus at
the Committee level last month was just who should be held liable for the
problems. These concerns were raised by Councillor John Gallo, who was subsequently
told these issues had been addressed in a confidential memo circulated to local
lawmakers which contained information protected under solicitor-client
privilege.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>Questions had
previously been asked behind closed doors on whether the construction company
could either be held liable for the build and/or whether the Town could recoup
some of the money spent on the project. At the end of the day, however, time
had lapsed and, in the words of CAO Doug Nadorozny, Aurora was “outside any
reasonable hope of successfully making a claim at this stage.”</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>But questions
continued into last week's Council meeting, with Councillor Gallo pressing for
the confidentiality surrounding the memo be waived and its contents released to
the public. </p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>At the outset,
Councillor Gallo moved that the reconstruction project be moved until this
month's Council cycle pending the release of the memo as work was not set to
begin until late summer or early fall.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>“I had some
conversations with [Town Solicitor] Patricia De Sario and it is my
understanding that there is no urgency to pass this tonight and one more cycle
of Council would be fine in terms of moving this item forward,” said Councillor
Gallo, asking the memo be placed on the agenda of a Closed Session meeting for
further Council discussion. “My objective, as it was last week, is to first
have the discussion and, I will be frank with you, after that discussion, I am
going to probably be suggesting that the memo be made public so that we can
properly communicate to the residents the full story of this project.”</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>Some Council members
were skeptical on the impact this memo might have on the decision-making
process.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>“I am not sure what
this Closed Session agenda is going to prove,” said Councillor Sandra Humfryes.
“We have all the information, we've worked on this for years, is this going to
stop any progress in terms of getting this skate park moving? By the time we have
a Closed Session, and who knows what comes out of that? This is something we
have let the residents down for many reasons that we all know and I would like
this to move forward. We have kids who are going to go to Newmarket and
anywhere else (to skate) but not here. I don't want to see the delay here.”</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>In that event,
Council decided to ultimately go into Closed Session during last week's Council
meeting and make a decision then and there after Ms. De Sario said as the memo
contains legal advice still subject to privilege, Council had to make a formal
decision on what could and could not be released to the public.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>“Do you have to go
into closed session to do it? Only if you have questions for me, then I will be
providing further legal advice,” she told Council members. “If there aren't
going to be any questions, you could potentially think about waiving [the memo]
now and making it public.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>Councillor Gallo said
he “wasn't interested in delaying anything” and was interested instead in “the
public having full disclosure” and didn't object to having the Closed Session
at that point.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>“I am fine with
supporting the motion as it stands,” said Councillor Michael Thompson. “I would
prefer to go into closed session and the only reason is I would like to hear
from Ms. De Sario if there are any ramifications of making that report public.”</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>Council ultimately
spent just over half an hour behind closed doors, emerging to pass a motion to
release the memo subject to redactions made in private.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>The motion was passed
6 – 1 with Councillor Rachel Gilliland being the dissenting vote.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->

<!-- wp:paragraph -->
<p>The Town is yet to confirm when this memo will
be made public.</p>
<!-- /wp:paragraph -->]]></content-encoded>
			<excerpt-encoded><![CDATA[A $600,000 project to replace the popular skateboard park outside the Aurora Family Leisure Complex (AFLC) received the formal green light from Council last week.]]></excerpt-encoded>
			<wp-post_id>24180</wp-post_id>
			<wp-post_date>2019-07-04 18:14:25</wp-post_date>
			<wp-post_date_gmt>2019-07-04 22:14:25</wp-post_date_gmt>
				</item>
</upm-export>
