February 4, 2015   ·   0 Comments

By Lois Brown, MP

Anti-terrorism legislation announced
Prime Minister Stephen Harper announced the introduction of new anti-terrorism legislation during a recent visit to York Region. The proposed legislation will provide Canadian law enforcement and national security agencies with additional tools and flexibility to keep pace with evolving threats and better protect Canadians here at home.
In line with measures taken by our allies, the Government is taking additional action to ensure our law enforcement and national security agencies can counter those who advocate terrorism, prevent terrorist travel and the efforts of those who seek to use Canada as a recruiting ground and disrupt planned attacks on Canadian soil.
The proposed legislation would help stop those who promote terrorism by creating a new Criminal Code offence that would criminalize the promotion of terrorism, including attacks on Canadians. The proposed offence would fill a current gap in Canadian criminal law by making it a crime for a person to knowingly promote or advocate others to carry out a terrorism offence.
Recent attacks in Canada, which led to the deaths of Corporal Nathan Cirillo and Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent, as well as attacks in France and Australia, are reminders that Canada is not immune to the threat of terrorism. Our Government will continue to protect the rights and safety of all Canadians and will not privilege the so-called rights of terrorists and others who would harm Canadians over the rights of law-abiding citizens.

Celebrating Flag Day February 15
Every year on February 15, we mark National Flag of Canada Day. This year also celebrates the 50th anniversary of our flag, a milestone that will allow Canadians to reflect on our flag and what it represents—a strong, proud and free country that is admired and respected around the world.
I invite you to show your pride by taking a picture or video of you and the flag and sharing it on social media with the hashtag #flag50. You can find out more about the National Flag of Canada at

Helping small businesses grow
Changes to the Canada Small Business Financing Program have been announced, which will allow more small businesses to apply and will make larger loans available for small businesses to purchase or improve their land or buildings.
The changes to the program will make loans available to more firms by increasing the revenue threshold under which a small business can apply for the program, and will support business start-up and growth by increasing the maximum loan amount and the maximum term length for loans financing the purchase or improvement of land and buildings.
This is one of several measures that our Government is taking to help small businesses across the country grow and prosper. These changes will help more small businesses in Newmarket-Aurora secure the loans they need to prosper, grow and create jobs.

Helping students save at tax time

Did you know that the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has tax credits, deductions, and benefits to help students?
Tuition fees paid to attend your post-secondary educational institution may be claimed. As a full-time student (or a part-time student who can claim the disability amount or has a certified mental or physical impairment), you can claim $400 for each month you were enrolled in an educational institution. As a part-time student, you can claim $120 for each month you were enrolled.
If you claim the education amount, you may claim the textbook amount of $65 for each month you qualify for the full-time education amount or $20 for each month you qualify for the part-time education amount.
You may be able to claim an amount for the interest paid on your student loan in 2014 for post-secondary education and up to the last five years if you haven’t already claimed it. Only interest paid on loans received under the Canada Student Loans Act, or the Canada Student Financial Assistance Act, qualify.
Students should also remember to claim the public transit amount. Keep your transit passes for local buses, streetcars, subways, commuter trains, and local ferries, and enter your total public transit amount on the appropriate line.
If you moved for your post-secondary studies and you are a full-time student, you may be able to claim moving expenses in certain instances. You may also be able to deduct child care expenses if you pay someone to look after your child while you go to school. If you are turning 19 before April 1, 2015, you may be eligible for the GST/HST credit. The CRA will determine your eligibility when you file your 2014 income tax and benefit return and will send you a notice of determination if you are eligible for the credit.

If you would like to contact me on any issue, please call 905-953-7515 or visit my website at I look forward to hearing from you.



Readers Comments (0)

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support