News and Sports » Sports

Early strike not enough in Aurora FC loss

September 13, 2018   ·   0 Comments

By Jake Courtepatte

If you blinked, you might have missed Maximillian Ferrari’s opening goal in the Aurora FC men’s League1 Ontario match with Toronto Skillz FC on Sunday.
The semi-pro club’s leading striker sent a long volley from the right hand side into the Toronto goal just seconds after the opening kickoff, taking Toronto goalkeeper Peter Katsaras by surprise to give Aurora an early lead.
Yet it was the home side Toronto squad that earned the three points in the match, with five straight goals to hand Aurora their eighth loss of the season.
Aurora held most of the possession in the early going, putting up another pair of shots on goal in the first fifteen minutes before Aurora keeper Benjamin Kleiser was finally put to the test.
Kleiser stood little chance of stopping the first Toronto goal of the game, which came at the 33rd minute on a free kick from twenty yards out, rebounding off a defender in the line to tie the game.
Aurora came close to retaking the lead shortly before the end of the first half, when Parmpreet Singh sent one from outside of the box that Katsaras just got a hand on, though both sides went to their dressing rooms at a goal each.
A tap-in goal past Kleiser early in the second half sent Aurora into a defensive meltdown, allowing three more in the half for an eventual 5 – 1 loss.
With two games left on the regular season schedule, the Aurora men still have a chance to better their point total from last season, which ended at their current total of nine. They bring a record of 2-8-3 into their next match.
Visiting the 8-2-2 FC London on Friday, Aurora wraps up the season on September 22 with a home game against the OSU Force.



Readers Comments (0)

You must be logged in to post a comment.

Page Reader Press Enter to Read Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Pause or Restart Reading Page Content Out Loud Press Enter to Stop Reading Page Content Out Loud Screen Reader Support